Cucumber "Nezhinsky" is known to many gardeners under the name "Little Russian". For a long time, Nezhin cucumbers were at the top of fame and were grown almost everywhere. The variety got its name thanks to the city of Nizhyn in Ukraine. This old variety has not lost its popularity and is widely cultivated today.
The variety was included in the State Register for Russia for cultivation on ridges of open ground, as well as using film shelters. Cucumber "Nezhinsky" is very common and is characterized by high productivity. The length of the cucumber whip often reaches 2 m or more. The variety belongs to the category of bee pollinators and forms a crop 47-67 days after sowing. The harvest is intended for fresh consumption, as well as for canning or pickling.
Taste characteristics and commercial qualities of Nezhin cucumbers are very high, for which the plant is appreciated by vegetable growers. It has a sufficient level of disease resistance and is rarely affected by the most common diseases. Ovary bundle type. Zelentsy has an elongated ovoid shape, with a large tuberous surface. The length of the green stuff can reach 10-12 cm, and the average weight of one cucumber is 95 g. The green pulp is crispy, very juicy and with a perceptible cucumber aroma.
Advantages and disadvantages
Cucumbers of the Nezhinsky variety are very popular among gardeners, despite the large number of new varieties and hybrid forms that have appeared. This is due to the following undeniable advantages:
- excellent tastes of greens;
- excellent presentation and transportability;
- profuse and prolonged bearing;
- the possibility of cultivation both in open and in protected ground;
- universality of use of the harvested crop;
- the most drought tolerant of the known old varieties;
- high disease resistance to the most common diseases, and also very resistant to mosaic wilt, but has low resistance to downy mildew.
Due to the late ripening, it is possible to get a crop in the autumn period, when other varieties and hybrids have already completed the fruiting process. In addition, Nezhin cucumbers are unpretentious and do not impose special requirements for compliance with agricultural measures.
Outdoor cultivation of cucumbers
On the basis of the Nezhinsky variety, such varieties as Nezhinsky-12 and Nezhinsky Kuban were obtained. Like most varieties and hybrid forms, cucumbers of the famous Nezhinsky variety can produce high yields and bear fruit abundantly subject to the following planting rules:
- it is necessary to use warm ridges or ridges, during digging of which organic fertilizers were applied in the autumn;
- sowing prepared and soaked seeds is necessary after the threat of late spring frosts, when the soil warms up to 12-14 ° C;
- the standard scheme for sowing seeds is 50x30 cm, with a recommended depth of 3.5 cm;
- cover immediately after sowing the ridge with covering material, which is removed only after the mass emergence of seedlings.
It is also allowed to grow non-female cucumbers in seedlings. Sowing seedlings should be carried out a month before the intended planting of plants in a permanent place. Most often, this long-graded variety is cultivated in open ground.
However, when grown under film shelters, it is possible to positively affect yield and extend the fruiting period. The average productivity of this variety is about 1.5 kg per square meter of planting.
Cucumbers of the Nezhinsky variety are very responsive to the right care measures:
- watering is preferably carried out after 1-2 days, conducting irrigation in the afternoon with warm water;
- after irrigation, surface loosening of the soil around the plants should be carried out with cucumber bushes podkuchivaniya;
- It is necessary to feed plants using organic substances, as well as complex fertilizers;
- alternation throughout the entire growing season of root and foliar top dressing gives a good result;
- plants respond well to foliar feeding with 0.5-1% urea solution with the addition of basic trace elements;
- long lashes suggest a trellis method of growing, which facilitates the entire process of caring for plants;
- insufficient resistance to powdery mildew damage requires prophylactic spraying with systemic agents.
To obtain a high and quality crop, it is recommended to follow the rules of crop rotation. Timely harvesting stimulates the formation of new cucumber ovaries and contributes to longer fruiting.
We also offer you to get acquainted with the varietal characteristics of cucumbers "Mashenka f1".
Reviews of vegetable growers
Cucumbers of this variety are recommended for cultivation on personal plots in the open ground and under temporary film shelters. Many vegetable growers know Nezhin cucumbers as a hygrophilous pickling variety, the fruits of which are very tasty and have a characteristic juicy strong pulp. The variety is resistant to fungal diseases, harvested, but makes considerable demands on moisture.
How to plant cucumbers
Many summer residents positively evaluate the taste and presentation of the Nezhinka variety, which was obtained by breeders as a result of crossing the Nezhinsky cucumber and MSLJ-710. However, it is Nezhin cucumbers that are the oldest and time-tested variety that confirms unpretentiousness and resistance to a complex of diseases. The variety was tested in the field during the heat, with differences in day and night temperatures, in the presence of abundant morning dew and proved to be the best.