We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Presses for grapes are an integral part of the winemaking process both on an industrial scale and for home use. Good and modern equipment can greatly facilitate the work of the winemaker.
The purpose and principle of the press
A modern and convenient press is necessary to obtain a good wort. It is from observance of fermentation technology and the use of properly prepared wort that the quality of the wine made will directly envy.
Using the press helps to quickly and efficiently separate the grape pulp from the resulting wort and squeeze all the juice from the pulp. At the same time, during the spinning process, crushing of grape seed and ridges, as well as skin, does not occur. Thus, the press allows you to get the juice from the berries without damaging the seeds or ridges of grapes.
A standard press consists of the following elements and components:
- a pair of wooden or stainless steel rollers having a corrugated surface;
- a pair of containers designed for crushed grapes and grape juice.
A pair of rollers mounted on gears. When the handle moves, the rollers come into action and begin oncoming translational motion. A special device can adjust the gap between the gears depending on the size of the processed berries.
The minimum clearance is 3 mm, and the maximum distance between the gears can be set to 8 mm. The result of the press is the extraction of juice from the berries and its redirection to a separate container.
The standard process for pressing grape berries consists of several stages:
- gravity separation of the wort;
- obtaining the first pressure wort;
- receiving wort of the second and third pressures.
Any press is a push device, complemented by a fixed stove and a basket in which the pulp is separated from the grape juice. A kind of drainage system is established in the interdisc space, which helps to drain pure juice. Directly under the press is a screw designed to remove the squeeze.
Varieties of the press
Currently, there are a large number of varieties of such units that help to get juice from grapes.
- Mechanical press for grapes. The unit includes a wooden basket and a cast-iron frame. Such an aggregate is compact and its price is quite affordable for most consumers. A good and high-quality mechanical press is the best option for home winemaking. The principle of action is based on the use of physical effort. The performance of this unit is not too big.
- Electric grape press. Made of high quality stainless steel. Such material is not prone to oxidation, durable and does not adversely affect the taste characteristics of the final product. The principle of operation is based on the pressure obtained when using water (hydraulic) or air (pneumatic) through a special pump. Performance is very high.
In addition, according to the purpose of the press, it is made universal, which can be used to squeeze not only grapes, but also other berries or fruits, as well as special ones, the use of which is adapted specifically for grapes.
The most popular are wooden and metal presses:
- wood presses need more thorough care, which consists in washing, disinfecting and systematic examinations for the appearance of mold or pathogens. High-quality main basket of the press is made of beech or oak;
- metal presses can be both cast iron and stainless. Such materials are more hygienic and easy to maintain. In addition, such materials are very durable and do not add foreign odors to the wine. Metal presses can be both domestic and industrial.
By volume and power
Of course, home winemaking involves the use of more budget options for the press, which have a low, but quite sufficient for domestic use performance. For home use, presses without metal elements or home-made designs are used.
Hydraulic press for grapes
Benefits of using
Presses are very convenient to use and have a lot of undeniable advantages:
- grape juice obtained in this way contains all the useful and nutritious substances, which is due to minimal contact with oxygen;
- the press allows you to get a larger volume of grape juice;
- with this method of extraction, foaming is practically not observed;
- high-quality press is not only distinguished by durability, but also allows to reduce the cost of effort and time.
When choosing a unit for home or household use, you should choose a simple design that is easy to assemble and clean after work.
Very often, at home, winemakers replace the press with conventional food processors or juicers. However, the use of such devices very often causes poor clarification of the wine and the formation of sediment.
You can make a press yourself from improvised means. Such a device will facilitate the process of obtaining juice and will not require the cost of acquiring expensive equipment.
Step-by-step instructions for making a press:
- preparation of a container for loading berries, which can be used as a drum from a conventional washing machine, in the walls of which holes should be drilled in a checkerboard pattern;
- prepare a container that exceeds the size of the drum from the washing machine. The container, like the drum of the washing machine, should look like a cylinder without a bottom and have a number of additional holes in the lower part;
- inserting one cylinder into another, you should fix them among themselves, inserting between the walls of the cubes;
- prepare a U-shaped frame, on the crossbar of which a working part is fixed through a drilled hole in the form of a thick cast-iron pancake with a lever;
- both containers are placed in a wide basin made of food-grade plastic, in which a hole has been drilled for a hose to drain juice.
The principle of operation of such a mechanism is very simple. A U-shaped frame concreted in the form of a horizontal bar with a working mechanism is the basis under which a basin structure with two perforated cylinders is installed. The hose from the pelvis should be placed in a container to collect the finished juice. The grapes are loaded into the drum and covered with a wooden shield, onto which with the help of a lever a cast iron pancake is lowered. Squeezed juice flows down the hose into a clean container.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about the technology of making homemade wine from grapes.
Tips & Tricks
The best and highest quality juice is one that is harvested from grapes without using a press, that is, by gravity. As a rule, winemakers combine it with juice of the first and second extraction, which allows you to get the highest quality wine. Juice from the third and subsequent presses can be used in winemaking for the preparation of simpler alcoholic beverages. The pressed pulp can be mixed and re-pressed, but not more than three times.
How to make a grape press
Of course, you can squeeze grape juice manually or through a juicer. But such options have a large number of disadvantages, including loss of juice and a decrease in the quality of wine. Therefore, for winemaking at home, it is recommended to purchase or make at least the simplest press yourself. It is very important to thoroughly rinse the device immediately after use and then the press will serve faithfully for many years.