Blueberry Mider is a tall blueberry variety, also known as Canadian blueberry. The plant is distinguished by its rapid growth and increased resistance to various diseases and pests. Blueberry Blueberry is grown both as an ornamental plant and as a fruit plant with edible berries. Next, we will talk about the characteristics of the Mider variety and its advantages compared to other tall blueberry varieties.
- It is highly resistant to temperature extremes, diseases and pests.
- Berries are characterized by a sweet taste, large size.
- Meadow bushes bear fruit well already in the second year, the berries are suitable for industrial production.
- From this type of berries wonderful desserts are obtained, which can be prepared at home.
- The bush is up to 2 meters high, it reaches the necessary growth very quickly.
- Perfect for regions with harsh climates; frost resistance of tall blueberries is -37 ° С.
- The bush is characterized by a closed root system, more than 65% of the berries ripen at the same time, so it is best suited for mechanized harvesting.
It is necessary to plant a shrub in a light acidic soil. The variety requires plenty of sunlight and good watering. In the autumn, bush leaves become reddish. The bush is slightly sprawling, dry and has a small size. Perennial; bears fruit in late July - early August.
Berries are characterized by powerful antioxidant properties, they can be consumed both fresh and cooked from meringue berries, jelly, pies, marmalades, etc.
Blueberries: planting and care
Comparison with analogues
Different types of blueberries were bred; Meader is considered one of the most common frost-resistant. Compare Meader with other popular counterparts:
- Pink Lemonade characterized by sweeter fruits. It is a self-pollinated shrub, fruiting well from late July to late September. The berries are pink in color, while the Meade harvest is characterized by a dark blue hue. This variety is also called blueberry red.
- Goldtraube bushes grow up to 190 cm, have a light blue tint. Ripen in early August.
- Denis Blue - The Australian version, it is not as high as Meader, grows to 1.8 m. Frost resistance is slightly lower, up to -34 ° С. Berries have a characteristic taste and large fruit size. The variety is resistant to many diseases and pests.
- Sunrise It has low resistance to frost, grows up to 1.8 m, bears fruit since mid-June. Fruits have a light blue color.
- North country, or North Country - a view of very small, up to 60 cm, bushes. The fruits are small with a pleasant aroma and sweet taste. It is undemanding to the soil, has frost resistance up to -37 ° С.
- Chippewa fruit reaches a height of up to 1 m, ripens early, has frost resistance up to -30 ° C. The fruits are sweet, large in size.
- Rankocas first appeared on sale in 1926. Ripens in mid-August, grows to 1.8 m, in winter the leaves acquire a reddish hue. Rankocas has delicious berries, this species is one of the most frost-resistant. Rankocas forms a large number of shoots, therefore, requires transplantation from 4 years.
- Blue collection is one of the most common in America, is a kind of standard for other species. Fruits may be slightly acidic but do not crack. Suitable for growing in the Urals region, has frost resistance up to -34 ° С. Berries do not ripen at the same time, which does not prevent the use of this option in industrial production.
- Blueberry jersey first appeared on sale in 1928, grows to 2 m, bears fruit in late August. It is one of the best pollinating varieties. Resistant to various diseases and pests, frost resistance up to -35 ° C.
Do not forget that Gonobobel - undersized bush. If all of the above varieties belong to the species of tall blueberries, then Gonobel is a completely different species. It can be noted that it is very hardy, can live for several decades, the fruits have a sweet taste, improve the circulatory system.
Mider is a fairly common variety, especially in the food industry, but the advantages allow it to grow in your garden.
- High frost resistance.
- High yield.
- Resistance to various pests and diseases.
- Low soil requirements.
- A fast growing species.
- Suitable for cultivation in regions with harsh climates.
- Suitable for mechanized cleaning.
- Delicious fruits of large size.
In conclusion, we can add that the variety of tall blueberries Meader is one of the best varieties of this plant.
Propagation of blueberries: cuttings
A tall shrub with strong branches and tasty fruits is perfect for growing even in cold climates due to its frost resistance.
The great advantage of this variety of blueberries is the simultaneous ripening of about 70% of all berries, which is very convenient for production: harvesting can be carried out using mechanized equipment.