The Vekovaya pear is an autumn cultivar bred by domestic breeders of YUNIISPOK more than twenty years ago as a result of work on crossing a selected seedling of the Ussuri pear with an elite seedling of pear cultivated No. 143. The description of the variety is well known to both experienced and novice gardeners in our country.
Varietal characteristic and description
Pear cultivar "Century" refers to medium-sized plants with relative winter hardiness. The variety enters the fruiting stage in the fourth year after planting. The plant is characterized by resistance to damage by scab, pear gall mite and bacterial burn. "Century" favorably differs in annual and high productivity.
Fruits have the correct pear shape, yellow staining with intense blush on 1/3 of the surface. Harvested has a high-quality appearance. The mass of the fetus is 135-185 g. Single fruits can reach a weight of 400-410 g. The pulp of a fully ripened pear is white, with very good indicators of juiciness, sweet and sour taste. According to the tasting scale, the taste of the fruits of this variety is estimated at 4.4-4.8 points.
Harvesting occurs in mid-September. The standard shelf life of the collected fruits is short-lived and, subject to the storage regime, does not exceed a month.
How to plant a pear
Spring processing plants
Conducting spring processing of pear plantations from the main pests and diseases is a necessary part of competent care for fruit trees. The pear of the Century-old variety has sufficient resistance to the defeat of the most common diseases and pests, which reduces the number of chemical treatments used to a minimum. Nevertheless, In early spring, it is necessary to carry out a number of measures to reduce the risk of damage to fruit stands practically to zero:
- in March, even before the stage of active budding of the kidneys, is carried out
pruning and cleaning of the stem, as well as the subsequent treatment of the plantings with “Preparation 30”, which allows to destroy the bulk of wintering plant parasites;
- in April, fruit stands are sprayed on a green cone with 1% Bordeaux liquid or with the Abiga Peak solution, which is necessary for comprehensive protection of the pear from the most common fungal and bacterial diseases;
- at the budding stage and immediately after flowering, plant protection is sprayed with modern and effective means such as Strobi, Inta Vir, Sumi Alpha, Kemifos and Horus.
Also, in the spring, pruning of fruit stands is carried out by cutting the ring and shortening the branches. Spring pruning of pear trees is aimed not only at the correct formation of a productive crown, but also at the removal of all old, diseased or frost-bitten under the influence of severe winter cold branches.
The first pruning is carried out in the second year after planting a pear seedling. Spring pruning of the pear is done in the early spring, before sap flow and kidney formation. In moderate climatic conditions of central Russia, this period falls on the last decade of March or the beginning of April. This procedure must be carried out annually.
When growing the "Century" pear in order to obtain high-quality fruits, it is recommended to follow the rules of plant nutrition in the spring. A special role at this time, at the stage of active growth and development of fruit stands, is given to the application of nitrogen-containing fertilizers.
It is recommended to feed fruit stands with the following fertilizers:
- the use of ammonium nitrogen compounds is considered the most effective, due to the minimum coefficient of leaching of nutrients from the soil;
- A good result is the introduction of urea in the spring, which belongs to the category of convenient mineral supplements in use, at the rate of 50 g per 10 liters of water;
- if it is necessary to carry out the most effective top dressing, it is advisable to use foliar spraying of the crown with a weak solution of urea.
As an active ingredient that improves the absorption of fertilizers, the use of potassium sulfate is allowed. Also, phosphorus-containing fertilizers accelerating the maturation of young shoots are a very good supplement.
According to gardeners, a pear called "Centennial" is an excellent dessert variety in autumn taste and is used fresh. The fruits resemble the taste of southern pear popular among consumers.
How to feed a pear in spring
The plantings are medium-sized, which greatly facilitates the implementation of all necessary care and harvesting measures. A definite drawback is the self-sterility of this variety, which implies planting as an effective pollinator of the pear of the variety "Severyanka".